Monday, December 21, 2009

Season of Giving


Eric and I decided to start a tradition this year.
Each year we will take the kids to the Angel Tree in the mall and let them pick off a gift that they want to get for another child.
It is really important to us that our kids know what Christmas is really about.
Let me just be real here....our kids are spoiled. They want for nothing and I want them to know that they are very blessed.
So...a few weeks ago we went and picked our names. We ended up each getting one. Gavin's little boy wanted a basketball, Nolen's wanted some Star Wars figures, Eric's wanted a baseball and glove and mine wanted underwear (it broke my heart that all the little boy put on his paper was underwear).
Anyways....we went together and got everything and had it all in the bags and Gavin went with me to drop it off. He carried every thing by himself and I lifted him up and he put everything in the bin. I was so proud of him.
Ever since then he has been telling me that he wants to carry around a bucket and collect money for the kids that don't have any.
The other night we were in the drive thru at Chick Fil A and he told me that he wanted to take ALL his birthday money and buy gifts for his family. I told him that he didn't have to do that and we could open a checking account and save his money. He said...."but Mommy....it is the season of GIVING!!"
Nolen doesn't really understand what is going on. The other night after church he said that he wants a Jesus toy for Christmas so he can play with Jesus all the time. Gavin chimed in..."Good idea Nolen....then Jesus will always be with us".
However, I think Gavin really gets it. I am so proud that he knows that it is not all about him. He will tell you, "Christmas is really about Jesus and giving"....some adults don't even know that!

1 comments:

Carley said...

So sweet. I can picture thier cute faces saying that stuff. I'm praying for you. I am still nervous, and hoping for the best news on Wednesday. "God please please give you a baby." I love you guys so so much! I'll be hearing from you all soon.